I am sitting with my back to the house. My toes are pointed toward the yellow flames of a new fire. The poplar is very dry and rarely pops. I miss the popping of sappy pine.
Without moving my eyes I lift my glass and sip the cold gin and freshly squeezed lime.
As the fire burns the wood quickly to ash, I now notice on the opposite side of the firepit what appears to be a crab moving horizontally across the tile. For multiple reasons I realize it is not a crab. So I look closer. A moth? Two moths. Attached at the rear facing opposite directions. I scramble to my feet as I realize what this is. Hurriedly I reach for my poorly charged video camera as I try to document this intimate moment. I snap still photos without stopping to completely realize where the moths are situated.
....As a moth to a flame.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's quite poetic, Nat! Was that the gin talking?? :)
Hi,Nat
Hi Nat
Post a Comment