Will and I have had so many "firsts" here it seems silly to comment on this one. But when it's life and death? Yes, it is worth mentioning. Today's first was driving on wet roads. Surpassed, however, by driving in a downpour. For experienced motorbike riders this may seem inconsequential. We, as a few of you know, are not experienced motorbike riders. (excepting my debut motorbike ride when in high school-for a more detailed story you have to email me)
There are many things to be wary of when traveling in the midst of traffic in Chiang Mai. If you have time, read this blog post I am attaching.(adults only-no need to worry the wee ones). MOTORBIKES IN THAILAND .
Did I mention what kind of bikes we are riding? I am riding a Yamaha Mio (green). Perhaps you recall it's image from a previous post. I know it is cute, but my Mio's tires are small and mostly bald meaning that it can potentially slip and slide on wet, oily roads. Let me reassure you that this didn't happen, however the entire time I am riding, I am very tense because I know that there is a potential for it to happen. We made it home from service only slightly damp. By the time I left to accompany a friend on a study, it was dumping buckets of water. I felt like the son of the vineyard owner who said he wouldn't work and ended up going anyway. Earlier this week I had in no uncertain terms told Will that I would NOT go out in the rain. Here I am, by myself, driving down Route 107 with cars and motorbikes whizzing by while I am puttering safely along at 40kph. I showed up on time. No damage. Soaked to the skin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment