
As hard as it is to live out of a suitcase, I love traveling. Getting loaded into the train, settling down with dinner and a coke.... It felt great. J and I got a little giggly. Too much sugar perhaps?
Whatever the reason, we waxed philosophical about people who travel in far away places. There are local people who only view the train as a means of conveyance from work to home. Or perhaps from home to vacation. Then there are Westerners (anyone from cultures such as US, UK, AUS, EUR etc). Easy to spot with their leather bound journals, eyes gazing off meditatively into the middle distance. Trying to discern their minute spot in the world. "What is the meaning of my existence" they ask themselves. "What is it that the locals have figured out that I haven't? How do I find it"..... And how can I impress others with it? (My opinion only-and J's haha)
It's a cliche isn't it? Travel to discover yourself? Look at the local people and see what they have discovered the meaning of life to be? Then write about it.
Meanwhile the locals are tired from working a 12 hour shift and would most likely be shocked to discover that they are a focal point for rich Farangs (Thai word for Foreigner) in the eternal quest for meaning in life.
It was a hilarious conversation. I guess you would just have to be there. Maybe next time?
To give you a taste of train travel I interviewed J. Please watch the following you tube video and ENJOY! Perhaps one day soon you will be on the Night Train to Chiang Mai.
2 comments:
Very enjoyable to see and hear J! Sounds like you're having a GREAT TIME!!!
Good thing we know you or we would wonder about you and your comments. It made me laugh out loud. Julie's faces were great.
Post a Comment