Sunday, December 6, 2009

What would you save if your house was on fire?

Hmmmmm. I grabbed my passport/visa and my iphone. Is that wrong??
I did wake up the other people in the house and removed our precious dogs as well.
Saturday November 28 4am the house was on fire. Since the fire was outside it didn't set off the fire alarms until the entire northwest side of the house was engulfed in flames. Fortunately I woke up before that (nature calls) and was able to warn Will and L and save the aforementioned difficult but not impossible to replace, passport/visa. Saving Boo was easy. He's so small I was able to scoop him up and scurry down the ladder. However, Huck is 90 pounds and not inclined to be picked up and carried down an extension ladder. So I resolved that I would sit at the back door holding on to him until the fire got closer. In my imagination, I pictured myself finding the strength to bodily lift him and toss him out the door. In reality, I don't know how I would have done that. Luckily I didn't have to. Cool headed D, our downstairs neighbor, climbed up towards me, grabbed Huck by the hind quarters and helped me walk him down the ladder backwards. The local volunteer fire department arrived in near record time to Will's relief. However the comedy of errors was about to begin. Fire hose on fire, nozzles falling off, hoses bursting apart.... You get the idea.
Long stressful story short the fire was put out and the house was saved. Here are a few pics from the adventure.


No comments: